Thursday, August 09, 2007

The longest 30 hours

Check out a new photo album linked off of our photoblog.

This past weekend, I spent 30 hours away from my son. This is the longest period of time I've ever spent away from him. Jim drove up to Maryland with Dan on Saturday. I worked Saturday night and drove up Sunday morning. Jim had just enough milk to get Danny through Saturday, night and early the next morning.

Saturday was weird. I had the house to myself. I mosied through Target. I made myself a pepperoni and mushroom pizza. I packed, did laundry and then went to work. I called my husband just about every two hours to check on the baby. It's not that I didn't trust him with our son. It's just strange to be two states away from a child who was once a part of my body and who is still so dependent on my body for nourishment and comfort.

Sunday morning I was up at the crack of dawn and made the trip in 4 hours and 45 minutes at 80 miles per hour on the highway. When I arrived, Danny was half asleep, nestled in my husband's arm on the sofa. Danny opened his eyes slightly as if to say "Oh, good, my booby's back," then fell back asleep. Somehow I expected a little more reaction from him.

Sailing home on a river of sweat

This was also my first road trip with my beloved Volvo station wagon. I took Stuey in (yes, my Volvo's name is Stuey) to the mechanic last week for a check up. Stuey appeared to be overheating when the A/C was running. Mechanic replaces the temperature control sensor and sends me on my way. The problem seemed to be fixed. I made it all the way up to Maryland on Sunday with the A/C on and Stuey never overheated. Tuesday, on my way to Alexandria, I hit traffic and he overheats. On Wednesday, the first hour of the road trip went smoothly with no overheating.

Then he starts acting up again. So, in 100 plus degree weather, we rode with all the windows down and had to occasionally turn the heat on to cool the engine down. We stopped every half hour or so to get into an air conditioned building and rehydrate. By the time we get home, Dan and I are exhausted, hot, drenched in sweat and our hair is standing on end.

Today, it's back to the mechanic. I'll try not to strangle him.

No comments: