Wednesday, May 23, 2007

What do you DO all day?

Thankfully, my husband has never asked. But in this morning's paper, some saucy little 20-something twit asked what stay-at-home moms do all day. Luckily, she asked my favorite snarky columnist, Carolyn Hax. One word sums up her lovely answer: Constant.

And that's what it is. She writes "It's constant vigilance, constant touch, constant use of your voice, constant relegation of your needs to the second tier." The twit thinks we sit around on our bums all day, relaxing.

Yet contrary to the rest of society's idea of motherhood, this is not a thankless job. I get to spend all day with someone who adores me, smiles every time he sees me and wants me to hold, rock, sing, nap and play with him all day. I'm pretty sure if you're boss wanted these things, it would constitute sexual harassment.

One of the biggest mistakes of 20th century was letting the job of mothers be denigrated. In pursuit of equality, women were led to believe a job had to pay money. There's much better currency than money in this job.

No comments: