Friday, May 11, 2007

Happy Friday before Mother's Day


Hallmark holidays annoy me. Retailers are the only people truly enriched by these kinds of holidays. These retailers assume that your heart strings are attached your wallet. I'd like to think my heart strings are attached to something more substantial.

Don't get me wrong, it's nice to be appreciated. It's even nicer to be appreciated more than once a year. Then again, I know that I'm a good mom and that I do the best job possible. If someone else thinks so, and happens to tell me on Mother's day or any other day, that's great. These days, I'm not in search of praise or appreciation. Here's what I really want, at least once a week:
  • eight hours of sleep
  • an hour with the Sunday paper
  • a few hours in my garden
Of course, it goes without saying that these hours would be uninterrupted! And no retailer can cash in on that.

No comments: