Sunday, May 13, 2007

A healthy, CHEAP organic snackie

On my new favorite web site, Instructables, I found instructions for making microwave popcorn. And no, the instructions don't include going to the grocery store to purchase microwave popcorn. Click here to be enlightened.

I tried this and it worked. Silly me, I thought that microwave popcorn kernels were specially treated so they would pop in the microwave. Instead of paying $3.00 for 3 bags of microwave popcorn with hydrogenated oil, too much salt and God knows what kind of preservatives, I paid .99 for bulk organic popcorn at Whole Foods, borrowed some brown paper lunch bags from mom and used (healthy) oil, salt and butter on hand in the house.

A one pound bag of kernels yields about 2 1/2 cups. I used a quarter cup of kernels for my evening snackie. So ... instead of paying $1 per bag of microwave popcorn, I paid 10 cents per "bag" of microwave popcorn. Add a few cents per "bag" for butter, salt, oil, the staples and the bags and you have about an 85 percent savings over the store-bought concoction. The popcorn tastes great and you can season it any way you like! Try it, I promise the staples won't ignite in the microwave.

And speaking of cheap, I found this "recipe" on my other new favorite Web site: laundry soap. Check it out at thesimpledollar.com. We made some this morning and we're waiting for it to turn into a gel. I'll let you know how it turns out.

No comments: