Sunday, October 14, 2007

Sickness is NOT the norm

It's been a rough weekend here. Dan has shrieked, fussed, cried and sniffled his way through the past two days. He's eaten very little and slept even less. This is only the second cold he's had since birth. And this time around it's a bit harder on us all because Dan is so mobile and curious. All he wants to do is play, when he really needs to rest.

He finally settled down a bit before bed tonight. Jim asked, "Is he actually playing quietly with his toys?" I responded, "Yes, but be quiet or you'll jinx it."

My doctor's office claims that the average child gets six to eight colds a year that last from seven to 10 days each. Something about this statement just seems off. By this logic, a child will be sick 1.5 to 2.5 months out of the year.

It's sad when being sick nearly 20 percent of the time is considered the norm.

Weekend theater

Scene: Early Saturday morning, mom and dad are just waking up, the baby starts to cry from his crib.
Jim: I think the baby's crying
Josee: We have a baby? When did that happen? Thinking: I really need to go to the bathroom, but if I get up, I'll be obligated to get the baby. If I don't move, maybe he'll go get the baby.
Jim finally gets up. Yes! Seems mommy has won this round!

No comments: