Wednesday, September 12, 2007

If I take a pain reliever ...

... will it make my son less of a pain?

I can rather quickly go from wanting to hold his warm sleepy body while inhaling his Ivory soap-scented skin to wanting to beat the wall and shout "shut up" at the top of my lungs. Oh, wait, I did yell "shut up" and beat the wall.

We're in the middle of one of his "bedtime is for sissies" weeks, I think. I've stopped trying to enumerate the nights in a row, the hours in a row, which weeks, which nights and so on that he sleeps. He's capable of sleeping through the night, but we always make excuses for him when he doesn't ... he's teething, his dinner didn't agree with him, maybe I had milk, maybe it's the full moon, the half moon, the crescent moon, the new moon, or maybe there's an ever so slight temperature variation in the house. Who knows? Tonight, he seemed to be testing different cries to see which frequency would bring him a warm body. I went to him twice, then I just had to let him cry. It was either that or I'd have to call in an exorcisist - for him and me.

No comments: