Wednesday, February 21, 2007

The constant gardener

My son is such a man already. He only wants to do something if it's his idea. Sorry, guys, but it's true. Ideas to which my husband's response is tepid at best are often uttered excitedly by him weeks or months later as if he had just discovered them all by himself. That's okay. I just think of myself as the gardener around here ... I plant seeds and he grows them. Anyhow, where was I?

Oh, yes. My son ... I've been trying to give him tummy time every day, as per the current recommendations from pediatricians. We've been told to put babies on their backs to sleep, but doctors are finding that babies have weak neck muscles and flat heads. However, being on his stomach just pisses him off. He howls and fusses.

So imagine my surprise this morning when the little man rolled over onto his stomach. He exerted quite a bit of effort doing it and when he was finally on his stomach, I figured he'd start howling as usual. Nope. He sighed and grinned. Then tried to roll over onto his back, but couldn't. Then he began the howling. We've got some work to do here.

No comments: