Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Fiona update

Fiona is quite the sleeper. I worry, I check often to see if she's still breathing. She sleeps most of the night, most of the day, while she's nursing, while Danny's shrieking, while Jim is using power tools, but not while I'm eating. I've gone from trying to use a fork with my left hand to eating with my fingers. It's just easier that way. I even ate some black bean and pork soup with my fingers for lunch today. Messy, but totally worth it.

Fiona has slept from around 8 or 9 o'clock to 2 a.m. on some nights. I usually try to wake her around midnight to nurse, but she just won't have it. She gets irritated with me. At 2 a.m. she nurses pretty well, then stares at me for about an hour while I tell her "Go to sleep baby." Rocking helps sometimes, swaddling definitely helps, but this evening I found the best way to get her to nod off is to talk on the phone. She must like the sound of my voice. The only person I know who is up when it's 3 a.m. here is my sister in Japan. I'm excited that I found another time of day that we can talk!

No comments: