Friday, October 16, 2009

Grasping at straws

I've been a bit preoccupied lately but I have been trying to keep track of the sweet things my son does or even the times he actually listens and obeys instead of displaying the most stunning case of mother deafness that I have ever witnessed. It's been a little harder than I expected - maybe because he really is that difficult or perhaps because I'm pregnant, exhausted and dealing with an infant who has a severe sleep allergy. But here goes:
  1. Fiona was crying on a recent van ride. Danny told her "Shh. Look out the window, baby Ona. Look at the cars." He was trying to comfort her just like I try to comfort him when he's upset in the car. Well, actually, he was yelling at her but his heart was in the right place.
  2. Fiona was crying in the playroom. I came in to find Danny cleaning up the playroom, including the toys that she was playing with. He was cleaning up so he could get his train tracks out. We always tell him to put some toys away before getting out his train tracks. Something finally sank in ... maybe I don't need to get his hearing checked.
  3. And here's something you don't normally hear from a 2-year-old: "More Lima beans." He spied some beans in the Brunswick stew that Jim and I were eating. (I didn't give him any; I figured he wouldn't be interested what with the grapes and freshly grilled cheese on his plate.) We told him they were Lima beans and gave him one. I spent the next five minutes picking Lima beans out of my own soup for my ravenous little bean boy. (He's not big on meat, but he can put away some rice and beans.)
  4. This morning, I tried to verbally tear him away from the electric blanket controls on our bed. Breakfast was waiting and we had to get to church. "Lights," he said, mesmerized. "Danny." Pause. "Danny." Louder. "You have three seconds. One ... " He turned and came immediately. He usually comes on two.
Maybe the light at the end of the tunnel isn't an oncoming train after all.

No comments: