Wednesday, July 01, 2009

The ever evolving cloth diaper stash

Two things excite me these days: freebies and finding unique ways to use fewer resources. (Okay, a third thing also excites me: sleep, but that doesn't count because, let's face it, that's not something I can expect much of anytime soon with a toddler and a 5 month old.)

As you know, we do cloth diapers with Fiona. So far, my stash includes prefolds and covers, a handful of fitted diapers that I've made from old t-shirts and some all-in-ones that I also sewed from a kit that comes with precut diaper pieces (best idea EVER for the slim demographic of sleep-deprived mommas who like to sew and save money on diapers). It's a system that works for us so far. But as she grows, the stash must evolve to accommodate her changing, ahem, elimination needs.

Since I sew, I'm always interested in diapers that are constructed to solve some of the issues that come up with cloth diapering. Many all-in-one or fitted diapers take a long time to dry. Others don't have good leg gathers. Getting good absorbency without the bulk is a challenge, especially at night. As she gets more mobile, I want her to have a trimmer diaper so she can move around easily, too. And inserts for pocket diapers? What a pain to have to buy several different sized inserts as your baby grows - even if you have a one size fits all diaper.

That said, I just love when a company comes up with a fresh take on good ol' fashioned cloth diapers or even those new fashioned diapers. I found a company that's rolling out a new diaper called Gro Baby. This diaper is an all-in-one diaper with a snap-in soaker that is elasticized to grow with your baby. It also has a mesh lining for a much quicker drying time. What I like about this diaper is that you don't have to keep buying new sizes - covers or inserts - as the baby grows. It also appears to be very trim since the inserts are made from six layers of absorbent organic cotton.

I'd love to give these a try. And wouldn't you know, they're giving away a free sample to bloggin' mommas (that would be me). Check them out here.

No comments: