Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Hell hath no fury ...

... like that of a pregnant woman made to wait more than an hour for a 10-minute face-to-face with a doctor who rushes her through an appointment.

Honestly, this is the most anxious and furious I have been since I've been pregnant. It's probably no coincidence then that the baby kicked me for the first time yesterday when the nurse was trying to find him (or her) with the fetal monitor. I guess he (or she) knew that mommy didn't like the nurse too much.

On Monday, Jim and I began our childbirth classes. We are using the Bradley method, which focuses on nutrition and exercise during pregnancy and learning relaxation tools to use in labor. We want as few doctor interventions as possible. When I asked the doctor if nurses at the birth center are familiar with the method, he said it depends on the nurse.

I've called a birth center in Chapel Hill to arrange to transfer my care. This birth center is run by women and it's very clear upfront about its philosophy (which happens to be my philosophy). They also have BIG whirpool tubs and they let you go home a few hours after the birth. It's really a no brainer. I should have gone to Chapel Hill in the first place.

No comments: