Tuesday, September 13, 2011

AiS: PB&J Bread Pudding

I've never been one to cut the crusts off of sandwiches for my kids. I actually never let them think they could have it any other way. Of course, their plates are always filled with munched-on scraps of sandwich when they're "done" anyway. Try as I may to relax about the food waste, it bugs me.

It's not like I can do anything with the drool-soaked scraps other than toss them. And this has been where I've missed our dog the most lately. So the other day I figured why not just cut the crusts off before putting the sammie on their plate and bake something with the crusts. I offered them PB&J cut into stars. The actually at all of it.

So with the unblemished scraps, I made bread pudding. It rocked. 

Here's how I did it:
PB&J scraps from three sandwiches
1/2 cup of milk
1 tablespoon of Splenda
Squirt of vanilla
1 egg
Cooking spray
Ramekin(s)

I cut up the scraps of three PB&Js into bite-size pieces and put them in a medium-size ramekin coated with cooking spray. I whisked together the egg, milk, Splenda and vanilla together and poured it over the bread pieces. Then I baked it in a 350 degree oven for about 20 minutes or so or until the egg mixture sets.

And they ate it for breakfast the next morning, because, by God, they will eat that food eventually.

No comments: